Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My wound adventure, round 2 for 2009

I am not a superstitious person. However, in my life about every 10 years or so something major medically happens. Around my 10th B-day, diagnosed with juvenile onset Diabetes. Age 19, major eye retinopathy, age 29 my kidneys failed. Ahh, a double transplant with a kidney and a pancreas was successfully done! 7 years later, that kidney wore out, 2002, a living donor kidney was received and transplanted. a few years later my pancreas wears out, back on shots, relearning everything Diabetes wise because medical technology has advanced!! And several years later here we are leg wounds. Leg wounds are now my way of life.

March 2009 while on a a vacation trip to San Diego we decide to tour the aircraft carrier "The USS Midway". Gary was on an air craft carrier when we got married. Several time I got the chance to actually run all over that ship!! Only 20 minutes on the Midway and I trip over a knee knocker, hit my right knee and dragggg my left leg over the thing ripping a huge gash in the front of my left shin. An 8 cm X 4 cm major wound. I spent 2 days a week going to wound care in Prescott, AZ getting that thing healed up. Now here we are in Dec. treating a boil (which turned out to be a major cyst, which included a multitude of other cysts).

It has been over a month (Yes I VERY grateful) for 2 weeks of a reprieve, hot showers, and car trip for Thanksgiving to Lawton, OK.). I went today and had this thing dug out, and low and behold another (major) cyst the size of a silver dollar is hiding under my flesh somewhere in the back of the calf of that left leg. No more hot showers for me for several months again. But, I am an expert at taking a bath and if I had to I could get it accomplished if I had to stand on my head. I love water, hot sudsy water to be exact. So, the shower will get a break, I will have my sudsy, hot bath, and wash my hair in the kitchen sink. When there's a will there's a way.

My friend invited me to her "Birthday Club" luncheon today. They are older, wiser women who get together to eat (of course, it's a luncheon), and chat, and best of all laugh. I have learned to love these older women, they have come through some tough time, and survived and gone beyond on tragedies in their own lives. I got used to hanging around these "seasoned" ladies when I attended many women's functions with my mom. i am one of a kind, a stay at home mom! I have been for nearly 124 years. Many women my age must work to help provide for their families, God has blessed me to be able to stay home and be a wife and mom!! I wonder sometimes if I have to stay at home for my family or to care for medical issues that test my strength, humor level, and my trust in God? Whatever the reason, right now this is my challenge.

"I can do ALL things through who strengthens me"

Dec. 9, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment